Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado






I have to admit that usually when I hear that someone will be preaching or writing about the book of Acts I sort of inwardly groan. And I know why. Chances are, if you are going to be talking about the book of Acts, you will have to talk about sharing your faith. I know I do not do a great job of sharing Christ with others and so, knowing I will feel guilty, I dread hearing the truth again.

This book is different. Lucado goes through the book of Acts and encourages us to follow the example of the early church, while reminding us that they were ordinary people just like me. Not only that but he tells wonderful stories of ordinary people from today who are touching the world with the choices they make every day. I don't come away feeling discouraged about my failure, but excited about what God could really do through me if I follow Christ in faith.  The topics are practical, including using your home to reach out, reaching out over cultural boundaries, unity among Christians, and so much more!

The chapters are short and include Scripture and a prayer at the end. Perfect for reading along side your normal Bible reading. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to any Christian!

A HUGE thank you to Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze program for a free copy of this book to review. I loved it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really hoping to read this one!

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I usually find Lucado's books very encouarging but not very deep... I may have to get this one and check it out!! Thanks!!