Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Am

The other day, we were talking with the kids about the question "What is God?" I was pleasantly surprised when Eóin remembered that "God is Light" from one of our Christmas promises we went through as a family during advent.

It got me thinking about how God is just what we need for every situation. You see, I think one of the reasons this particular aspect of God stuck with Eóin is that he is afraid of the dark, so it's important to him that God is Light. It meets his heart's present needs.

I've always loved that when Moses asked God who to tell Pharaoh sent him to free the children of Israel, that God said to tell them "I Am" sent him. God cannot be put in a box. He is not just one or two things - He is EVERYTHING we need when we need it!
To the Israelites he would be "I Am the Deliverer" - to Pharaoh he was "I Am Just and Powerful." To sinners he is "I Am Merciful and Redeemer;" to the broken he is "I am Healer." The list goes on and on! To my son He is "I am Light;" to the lost He is "I am the Good Shepherd" or "I am the Way." Where there is a need in our world, it is God who can fill it - He is "I Am."

Just enjoying reflecting on that today - whether you are five or ninety five - God can meet you right where you are!

No comments: