Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review: The Rewards of Simplicity

Keeping a home functioning, raising children, involvement at church - sometimes life just feels a little hectic around here. That's why I was pretty interested when I saw this book up for review.  I was especially drawn by the subtitle: "A Practical and Spiritual Approach."


Pam and Chuck Pierce Co-athured this book and each took half the book to deal with different aspects of simplicity. Pam takes the first half which contains a lot more of the practical approach. Although I did notice along the way that I definitely have a completely different stand on how God speaks to us today (ie. they believe God still reveals  himself in dreams), I did like a lot of her ideas. We love technology in our house, and though she came off as a bit of a "techno-phobe" (if that is even a real word), she made some good suggestions on how to not let it take over your life so that you are forgetting the important things. I enjoyed the section on sabbath - it was a good reminder to take time out of a busy life to recognize God's hand in creation and my life.

The second half of the book was by her husband and I have to admit I really thought it to be a bit weird. He made some good points about stress but when he started to get into how physical and spiritual things mix it sounded a bit strange. I also thoroughly disagree with his stand on modern day prophesy. He goes into something called "dominion rest" which were backed up by Scriptures that I think he took way out of context. It just did not sit well with me.

So, like many things - you could just take the good and ignore the bad, but it probably wouldn't be at the top of my recommendation list.

I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher to review.

No comments: