Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Review: Love's Rescue by Christine Johnson

Elizabeth Benjamin is living with so much guilt. All she can do to make up for her past mistakes is to become the perfect Southern Belle and marry well so that she can secure her family's future. When she arrives home from her training with her Aunt, after her mother passes away, she discovers this is not a difficult task. Running her family home is not easy with a resentful brother, and servants who do see her as a real authority. On top of that, how can she marry well for her family, when all she can think of is the handsome wrecking captain, Rourke O Malley - the absolute last person her family would approve of. When Elizabeth comes across her mother's diary, family secrets come to light that have stayed hidden for far too long and Elizabeth must choose the best way to handle them, and her heart!

I felt like this book started off on some very exciting notes and I eagerly dove in, but after the first couple of chapters, things level off a bit and I wasn't as hooked as I was at the beginning. I thought the thoughts and themes of slavery and how people treated their servants was interesting and I enjoyed seeing Elizabeth's attitude change over time. While there is nothing that I did not like about the story in general, it didn't stand out to me as one I would reread over and over. It was good but not excellent.

Thank you to Revell Publishers for a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: