Friday, July 01, 2016

Book Review: Traces of Guilt by Dee Henderson

I'm a little behind on my book reviews lately due to being out of the country so be prepared for a couple in a row here to play catch up!

Publisher's Description: State Police Detective Evie Blackwell is launching a new task force dedicated to reexamining unsolved crimes in Illinois. While looking at old evidence for a couple of missing-persons cases in Carin County, she pulls out a few tenuous leads—with startling implications.

I am so on the fence about Dee Henderson's new style of writing. So I hmmm-ed and haaaaaw-ed about even requesting this one to review. Honestly, it was better than some of the other new ones I'd read. It still features a lot of the same people that she has written about before so I would suggest reading her other books first just to get a good idea of who some of the main characters are.
Because the story follows cold cases, there is really not much action, but a lot of dialogue, interviewing and tedious police work (probably more like real life than the exciting page turning crime books but still...). I thought the cases were interesting, but the people are just so introspective and serious that I felt like it needed a bit of excitement to carry it forward a bit.
If you've read Dee Henderson's newer books and liked them, then I'm sure you will also enjoy this one!

Thank you to Bethany House Publishers for a free copy of this book to read and review.

No comments: