Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Review: Heaven is for Real for Kids by Todd and Sonja Burpo



Heaven is for Real tells the story of Colton Burpo who during a surgery when he was three, died, went to Heaven, and then was sent back in answer to his father's prayer. It is complete with illustrations, drawn by Wilson Ong but guided by Colton. Included are verses from Scripture to compare with the things that Colton said that he saw while in Heaven.
I have to be honest and say that I am a little skeptical about this story. I have a three year old myself and know how easily it is to encourage him to tell a story. While I don't doubt that it is possible that Jesus gave Colton a lovely dream or that he did see angels (which has happened a lot throughout history and the Bible does say that they especially guard over children), especially looking at the drawings, it strikes me that it is very similar to pictures that you would see in a Sunday School curriculum, drawn by people who have never been to Heaven. Odd that they had it so close :-) (For example, kids having wings and halos).  His picture of Jesus looks exactly like people have been drawing him - white with blue eyes,which is probably not accurate since he was from the middle east. He also is wearing a robe with purple sash just like in Sunday School picture with a very child-like crown...
Anyway - it is a cute book and while I wouldn't judge anyone for letting their children read it, I probably will not be reading it to my children.
Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publishers for a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: