Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review: In Too Deep by Mary Connealy

The second book in "The Kincaid Brides" series, In Too Deep follows the second Kincaid brother, Ethan. Always smiling Ethan seems to have a very apathetic approach to life - he never lets himself care too much about anything. That is until he agrees to marry Audra as a convenient way to keep her safe after her swindling husband dies. "Why not?" he says when the idea to marry Audra is suggested. But Ethan soon learns that it is very hard to have a care-free attitude when it comes to Audra and her two baby girls. He soon finds himself caring - a lot, and will have to face his fear of caring when all the people he has been trying so hard not to care about are suddenly in very real danger!
 I would have liked to have read the first book in their series before this one, but Connealy fills in the gaps so I knew everything I needed to so I would not be lost in the story line.

The first chapter was so tense from the very beginning - it's not often I won't let anyone talk to me when I am just reading the first few pages of a book but I was very drawn from the get-go! I thought the boys' background story was very moving and was a great way to get to know them on a deeper level. My only issues with this book were that sometimes Ethan seems like a bit of a simpleton in the way that Connealy describes his thoughts - it gets better towards the end of the book, which may have been on purpose, but at the beginning he seems like a bit of a country bumpkin. Also, there were a LOT of intimate scenes and thoughts about it since the two couples were newlyweds, but it got a bit old. The storyline was good enough without the need to fill in every chapter with someone in the bedroom or thinking about it (I am exaggerating, but it did seem like a lot). It was a good read though, and I look forward to following Seth's story in the next book! Thank you to Bethany House Publishers for a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: