Sunday, February 10, 2013

Book Review: Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden

Lydia Pallas has known great hardship in her life. She has gone through many trials and struggles, and now that she has a steady job translating for the US Navy and an apartment that she loves and calls home. Her very orderly world is about to be turned upside down when she meets Alexander Bainbridge and agrees to do some translating work for him on the side.

Alexander Bainbridge is on a mission to end the opium trade in America and will stop at nothing to see his mission completed. He certainly has no time for women and love. Yet he relies on Lydia and her translating work to help him take down the people involved in the industry.

When the mission suddenly turns very dangerous, Lydia is tested to her very limit and Alexander is forced to see how much he really needs her.

I totally enjoyed every minute of this book.  The funny thing is that the whole time I was reading it, the plot kind of reminded me of another book I had read, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I didn't realize until I saw an ad in the back of the book, that I had read this book, with the same main character a few years ago. When that clicked, it made the book even better! I will go back and read them both together in the future :-) This is a great page turner - romance, mystery, and danger - kept me up to the wee hours of the morning because I didn't want to put it down!

Thank you to Bethany House Publishers for a free copy of this book to review.


No comments: