Saturday, October 06, 2012

Book Review: Life with Lilly by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher



I have really enjoyed reading books by Suzanne Woods Fisher in the past, so I was pretty happy to see that she had written a book for children. These ladies have done a lovely job of explaining how Amish children grow up in a sweet story about Lilly Lapp.

The book begins when Lilly is only age 5 which I will admit I thought was a little young for a main character since the book is aimed at children who are a little older. I did find though that the book covers a few years of Lilly's life though, so it does eventually catch up to it's readers. While it does deal with some tough subjects like serious illnesses in a family, I still feel it was a very simple book, and not sure it would hold the attention of a 12 year old. The conflicts were mainly small and dealt with it a couple of chapters.  It's been a while since I was that age though so I may be wrong :-) I think that it would be a great story to read to your child as it would be a great way to open conversations on those hard topics.

I am certainly going to read this with my Molly as soon as she is old enough - I think it will make a lovely bed time story to read together.

Thank you so much to Revell Publishers for a copy of this book to review.

Available October 2012  at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments: