Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review: Bathsheba by Jill Eileen Smith


Biblical fiction is a difficult medium to write. We already know what happens in the story and (at least I) tend to watch out for contradictions or inaccuracies. For me, the closer the book stays to the real story, the better and more real it feels.

I thought Smith did a pretty decent job with her retelling of David and Bathsheba. The first section for me, was a bit of a stretch as it was mostly extra-biblical, but I loved when it followed the biblical timeline more accurately in the later sections. It is always good to be challenged to think a little deeper about what the people in the Bible went through, and I felt that this book really made me think about what happened on a more human level. I have to say, one of my favorite aspects of this book was making David's writing of the Psalms really come to life.

I would definitely recommend this one to lovers of Biblical and historical fiction.

Available March 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Thank you to Revell publishers for a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: