Friday, March 25, 2011

Catching Moondrops - a long lost book review!



Last summer, I received an advanced copy of this book to review. I read the book, wrote the review, and for some reason forgot all about posting it! So, here it is, the long awaited review of "Catching Moondrops" by Jennifer Erin Valent.

Jessilyn Lassiter has had a hard life in a community full of racism, but she plans to put aside her past filled with hatred, when Luke Tally comes home. She has loved him for as long as she has known him, and now that she is almost nineteen, it's time to show him how much she has grown up. He doesn't need convincing and soon, a courtship begins.
It's all so fun and romantic until all sorts of trouble happens in town. Jessilyn's best friend is in love with the town's new black doctor, but the rest of the town does not appreciate having a black man stepping out of his place. As the hatred and violence escalate, Jessilyn's heart becomes full of anger and hate too. Will she be able to face what is in her heart in time to save her relationship with Luke, and she is completely engulfed in her rage?

I thought this was a very good read. I did not realize that it was the third in a triolgy though, and I think it would have been helpful for me to read the other books first. It took me a while to figure out who everyone was. Some events from the other books were referred to, and while I don't know exactly what happened, I was able to get the basic gist. It took me a while to get into all the "southern talk" but once I got settled into the story, I was drawn in.  Reading the book alone, I thought the love story jumped in way to strong, too fast, but If I'd have read the others, it probably wouldn't have seem that way. I thought the storyline was excellent though and I would recommend the read!

Thank you to Tyndale House Publishers for a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: